Heninger Park Vintage Homes

Find me a Vintage Home in Heninger Park Now
Click the image above to search for your Vintage Heninger Park home now!

Martin R. Heninger came to Santa Ana on May 15, 1906 to join his brother, H. B. Heninger who had been in Santa Ana since 1903. Together, the brothers were instrumental in the development of the southern section of the city of Santa Ana.
Martin Heninger was born on November 29, 1851 in Monroe County, Missouri. He grew up on his parents Eliza J. (Stalcup) and William W. Heninge's farmr. When he was seventeen years old his father died and Martin left school to assist in caring for his mother and his seven brothers and sisters. He remained on the farm until 1882.
On July 9, 1882 Martin Heninger married Mary A. Way. He and his bride moved to Dakota Territory. Martin worked in the retail lumber business in Ordway, now South Dakota. After a year they moved to Wesport where he spent the next twenty years. Mr. Heninger became one of the townís most substantial business men. He worked in the banking exchange business and owned a farm 450 acre farm. After selling his assets Mr. Heninger then moved to Aberdeen where he bought a third interest in the Aberdeen Electric Light and Gas Company. He lived in Aberdeen until 1906.
Mr. Heningerís father had been a Republican and Union man during the Civil War. Martin Heninger also had an allegiance to the Republican party. During the many years of Mr. Heningerís residence in South Dakota he was very prominent in Republican politics and in the public life of the State. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention held at Sioux Falls which acted in the admission of South Dakota to statehood in 1889. He was also elected clerk of Brown County in 1895 and served for two years. He was a Mason and was also with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America.
After selling his interest in the Aberdeen Electric Light and Gas Company Mr. Heninger left South Dakota and moved to Santa Ana, California. In 1907 Martin Heninger and his brother bought thirty-four acres of land, now called Heninger Park, from of the Noah Palmer Ranch. When Mr. Heninger purchased this property it was a barley field. The following year a combined harvester was at work on the property, cutting, threshing and sacking the barley. They developed this tract planting trees, putting in sidewalks and curbs. Later they bought additional tracts, one of ten and one of eighteen acres which they planted and improved. These properties are known as Heninger Additions 1, 2, 3, and 4. Many miles of street paving, sidewalks and curbs were put in with $10,000.00 spent for street paving in one year alone.
Mr. Heninger and his brother developed most of Heninger Park, selling lots and building houses for their clients. Over a period of twelve years they built 150 homes on the property. At end of the 1920ís most of the lots were built up. By 1922 Heninger Park was said to be the finest residence section of the City.
The first Heninger family home was on S. Broadway. The second Heninger family home is located on S. Birch. This large, two story Colonial Revival style house with a wrap-around porch was their dream home. It was built on two lots with a sweeping front lawn. Martin and Mary Heninger lived here with their three daughters, Nora, Mabel and Mildred.
The third Heninger family home is located on 714 S. Ross. Mr. Heninger lived here until his death on April 1, 1922. He is buired in Fairhaven Memorial Park. His grave site and marker can be found at Lawn K, Lot 60.
During Martin Heninger years in the Santa Ana no one had been more active in the development of the southern section of the City. He had transformed a barley field by planting trees, putting in sidewalks and curbs and well built, beautiful homes. Today it is called Historic Heninger Park, and known as Santa Ana's Bungalow Neighborhood.

Craftsman Style. .Bungalows . Historical . Mansions .,Vintage Homes
Exclusively serving Orange County and Southern California.

Vintage Homes of Orange County and California © Copyright 2008 Andy Alison